|Teeth of the Dog in the Dominican Republic|
Are you in search of new golf getaway frontiers in 2013?
Here are ten hot golf travel destinations where adventurous golfers will congregate this year:
2. Biarritz, France--"Tre bien" messieur, the golf in France is indeed, very good. The unofficial French golf capital is Biarritz, on the Atlantic coast in the southwestern corner of the country, which has 10 golf courses. Among the top layouts are Biarritz Le Phare, the second oldest course in France (1888) and Seignosse, a Robert von Hagge design with wildly undulating terrain.
3. Kauai, Hawaii--It's the road less traveled in Hawaii. While tourist throngs gravitate to Oahu and Maui, Kauai offers a more sedate environment with stunning scenery and an impressive menu of golf courses. You run out of adjectives describing the island's garden-like beauty and course designers have taken full advantage of the exceptional terrain on the island to build picturesque and challenging layouts. Top places to play, include Kauai Lagoons, Poipu Bay, Pukea, Princeville and Wailua Municipal.
4. Ireland--A year-long celebration called "The Gathering" is designed to entice an estimated 70 million people who claim Irish ancestry to the Emerald Isle. The recent decrease in the Value-Added Tax from 13.5% to 9% is added motivation for tourists and American, Aer Lingus and United are gearing up more service to Ireland. Flying to Dublin and Shannon is convenient and a good value. For golfers, the emergence of Irish golfers Rory McIlroy-- the number one player in the world-- and Graeme McDowell has given Ireland lots of notoriety in the golf world. Among the courses on most must-play lists are Ballybunion, Lahinch, Portmarnock, Waterville, Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, Doonbeg and European Club.
5. Belek, Turkey-- On Turkey’s southern coast, the beach destination of Belek has 14 golf courses with designer tags like Nick Faldo, Colin Montgomerie, David Feherty and Irish golf designer David Jones. There are more than 30 four-star and five-star hotels in Belek. In 2012, the region took center stage in the golf world when it hosted the Turkish Airlines World Golf Final at Antalya Golf Club (Sultan Course).
|Turning Stone Ayunote Course|
|Corales at Puntacana|
10. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania--Site of the deadliest and most influential battle of the Civil War, Gettysburg is one of our nation's most important historical sites. In 2013, it will commemorate the 150th anniversaries of the Gettysburg Address and the bloody Civil War battle. Key events will take place in June and July. The undulating terrain, dense woodlands and winding streams that made Gettysburg such a torturous place for advancing armies to attack, have provided an excellent topographical pallette for innovative golf course designers. Some of the more popular courses in the area are the Links at Gettysburg, Bridges Golf Club, Penn National Golf Club and Carroll Valley Resort.